Monday, October 17, 2011

NBA Lockout: Still Going...

The NBA lockout has already taken away the preseason, the first two weeks of the regular season and sent numerous players overseas.  I really wish it would end, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I believe both sides deserve their fair share.  The players bring the talent that brings in the money.  They also deal with being in the public eye, taking the blame when things go wrong and the credit when it goes right.  Most, if not all, of the scrutiny lies on players.  That being said, the owners provide the outlet and make the deals to bring in the money that the players' talent attracts.  Both sides deserve their share.

I know I probably don't know the whole story, but I've been following what I can throughout the lockout.  From what I've taken, the players have shown willingness to negotiate, they've given in areas.  The owners have not from what I've seen/read/heard.  Both sides must show willingness to compromise for this to work.

I'm trying to stay in the middle, but maybe I am leaning toward the players' side.  Many of the owners have made horrible decisions and now are looking for ways to get out of dealing with it when they make more.  If more owners took a genuine love in their team and the game, maybe it wouldn't be so hard.  It's usually pretty obvious which owners are interested in winning for love of the game, and not just in making money.  

After all the buzz created last year that aided in getting the fan base back up, and getting more revenue, it's terrible that this is happening now to set the Association back instead of building on it.  

I don't know what kind of deal needs to be made.  All I know is I'm a fan missing out on the highest level of my favorite sport because people can't figure out how to divide their money.  I'm sure there's more to it than I realize, but I'd really like to see some NBA basketball and see the next chapter in its story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment