Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Beaver with Mel Gibson.

Many of you who know me know I enjoy weird movies.  My favorites are movies with strange stories, most likely some mental illness, with comedy mixed in.  Laughing during bad times is something we should all be able to do.  If you take yourself too seriously you'll never be happy.  Movies like The Weather Man and Lars and the Real Girl.  I have a new film to add to this list of beautifully crazy movies.  The Beaver starring Mel Gibson, Anton Yelchin (Star Trek and Charlie Bartlett) and Jodie Foster (who also directed).

The movie is about a man (Gibson) who is depressed and burnt out on his life.  He came to his job by being his fathers son; a job he was under-qualified for and overwhelmed by.  He stops talking to anyone, and tries to kill himself, but then starts communicating to the world through a beaver puppet that he never takes off his hand, not even to shower.

This film has a great story, great acting and was well put together.  This was meant to be Mel Gibson's comeback after the drama with his ex (leaked phone messages, a battery lawsuit, etc) and alcohol ("sugar***s", rants against Jews).  It didn't work out, as no one saw the movie.  It didn't play in many theaters, and didn't make much money in the few it was in.

Anton Yelchin has quickly become one of my favorite actors.  I loved Charlie Bartlett and this movie is another amazing one.  His only big blockbuster so far was Star Trek but I urge you to check out some of his other work.

It's one of those movies, like The Weather Man and Lars and the Real Girl, that teach us that life isn't perfect, and we all have to deal with our share of things in life.  Some people probably don't like these movies.  They may even think these movies make people depressed.  This may be true for some, but these movies invigorate me.  I feel they teach us about life and a little of how to deal with it.  They teach us to be there for one another and to respect each other.  They have heart, humor and are realistic and artistic.

I know I have weird taste in things.  All of you may not feel the same about this type of film.  I hope you at least check them out, though.

Stay fresh and keep calm.






Also, if you haven't seen these, check them out.






1 comment:

  1. Just so you know, I have every intention of watching this movie...

    ReplyDelete